Tuesday, May 09, 2006

My Ma

My Ma is a strange bird, but for all her quirks I love her tremedously.

So Ma decides to buy my hubby dearest a birthday present (as you do) and picks out a novel called Crash while at the boutique book store. She quickly reads the blurb then passes it to me to get my thoughts,

"Do you think your hubby would like this" she asks.

I skim the blurb and respond "Yes, looks like it may be along the same lines as Phillip K. Dick's books which hubby likes."

So hubby gets birthday present and settles down for what turned out to be more a disturbing read rather than an interesting one. Turns out Ma and I didn't really read the blurb as thoroughly as we should have!

Hubby gets to page 12 and decides that the book just isn't for him saying "I don't know why your Ma thought I would like this! It's about a guy who crashes cars and then has sex with the dead bodies."

Poor Ma would have a stroke if she knew THAT was the kind of book she had purchased.

And here is the blurb:

"In this hallucinatory novel, the car provides the hellish tableau in which Vaughan, a 'TV Scientist' experiments with erotic atrocities among crash victims, each more sinister than the last: Ultimately, he craves a union of blood, semen and engine coolant in a head-on collision with Elizabeth Taylor."

Now how did Ma and I not pick up on what this book was about?

4 Comments:

Blogger Pablo said...

Hahahahahah!

Hook me up, that sounds hilarious.

8:40 am  
Blogger Susanne said...

Hehe, I don't think Phil Dick was ever that explicit!

4:40 pm  
Blogger Lil Kim said...

haha! Ah yes... the movie. I wish i'd known there were two movies called 'Crash' as i saw one of them (the good one- directed by Paul Haggis) with sandra bullock, brendan fraser, matt dillon, ryan phillippe and so on at the cinema with Chuckles. I thought it was awesome and told mum to hire it..... mmm yea.. she hired the wrong one. She thought her daughter had turned into some kind of twisted sicko after that...

11:47 am  
Blogger Pablo said...

So now that I in fact have Dan's copy of Crash and have read the first couple of chapters I think that I can honestly say that it is the most... streamlined-ly plastic mild erotica with violent automobile overtones... ever.

Maybe it gets better later on...

2:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home