Monday, August 08, 2005

Are you Illiterate?

Illiteracy has been a hot topic of recent years with Australia’s illiteracy slowly increasing and in the 21st century we still have children and adults who cannot read or write.

The thing that has struck me as odd when the issue is discussed throughout the various media is that there is very little responsibility assigned to the parents for our children’s lack of literacy. Is it not the responsibility of parents to ensure that children can read and write? Nowadays schools are expected to guarantee this most important skill is learnt.

I knew how to read, write and do basic arithmetic by the age of four and had grown out of picture books by around seven, but an ever increasing number of kids are starting to learn later in their lives.

Parents are performing a great injustice by not spending time with their kids and teaching them the basic skills that they will need throughout their adult life. Being able to read and write in today’s society is a survival skill that all children should learn as soon as possible.

Of course I speak in general and do not mean to offend any parents out there who have in fact taken the initiative to teach their children. But we cannot ignore the fact that there are a great many children out there who are struggling because their parents felt it was the sole responsibility of schools.

Children take note: rather than suing the schools when you are older you should be suing your parents for negligence.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to get it out girl!

Couldn't agree more...

Your gonna make a fantastic mother one day!
Xx

3:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still love picture books. I call them comics.

And... "The thing that has struck me as odd when the issue is discussed throughout the various media is that there is very little responsibility assigned to the parents for our children’s lack of literacy" ...

Much like the lack of responsibility assigned to parents whose children have no grip on reality or right / wrong... that blame all goes to violent videogames, right?

But that's a seperate rant that I'll go on later, I'm sure.

8:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First thing that popped into my head about poor grammar is the amount of people who think rogue is spelt 'rouge'. Its really annoying me because I've seen it so many times its starting to rub off on me. Gah! Yeah, I play World of Warcraft way too much.

Yet there was a French-Canadian guy who said he learnt most of his english from video games as a kid.

Paul inspired me to start going off-topic.

2:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In speed scrabble I placed down the word rouge. One of my opponent's replied, "Aaah rogue, very good." But I think the upside-downess of the board may serve as her excuse in this instance.

Yes parents bad. Media like blame. Kim spends too much time on WoW. JK should rule the Universe. End Transmission. (Now how am I going to change gears?)

8:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home